Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Be Still My Heart!

Zucchini Bread is one of my all time favorites! My mum always made it when I was a child. I remember sitting at the kitchen table and going crazy waiting for it to come out of the oven! I always thought it was a huge work of art when my mum would put a piece in front of me. I never realized how very easy it is to make!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grab a large bowl and a medium size one. There are about a million different recipes for zucchini bread, but this is the one I use:

3 1/4 cups flour (I personally always use whole wheat)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

1 cup oil (I use olive, but a lot of people use vegetable)
1/3 cup water
4 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla (I usually throw a little extra in!)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups of grated zucchini

First take the flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, & nutmeg:





Mix these together in the large bowl.



Make sure that you have grated your zucchini! You can use any size grater, I switch back and forth between sizes.



Mix the remainder of the ingredients together in the medium bowl.


Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.


Spray two loaf pans with nonstick and then split the batter between them. Bake for approximately an hour.

Also, if you have smaller pans they would take about 45 minutes to bake. I like to throw some into small pans and then put the leftover into a cupcake pan (I love that size). Those need to cook about 20 minutes.


Before you take them out, do the toothpick check! Insert a toothpick into the center and make sure that it comes out clean. When they're done, let them cool and enjoy!

Now, for part two of zucchini bread. :) I personally prefer mine plain, but it certainly doesn't have to be! There really is no end to what you can throw in here...and I've seen some interesting versions! I've listed some popular ones below, each would need about one cup worth:

Nuts: walnuts & pecans work the best. Don't forget to chop them
Coconut (shredded. Either sweetened or unsweetened)
Grated apple
Raisins

Then there comes the topping choice! I LOVE LOVE LOVE strawberry cream cheese on top of mine. Try it...it's fabulous!

I've never done it, but many friends use a cream cheese frosting. You can find a great recipe for it here. Now, go have some zucchini bread!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...