Thursday, July 5, 2012

Huevos Rancheros




I love Huevos Rancheros. I love them almost as much as my husband does, almost. He might have married them if I hadn’t snagged him first. This is my recipe for Huevos Rancheros and I like to call it my cheat recipe because I’m always looking for ways to make morning meals easier. I cut a corner by using canned tomatoes because I honestly detest cutting tomatoes, and especially first thing in the morning! That doesn’t make me a bad person does it?

For the salsa:
1 can rotel brand diced tomatoes with habaneros (or if you’re a better person than me, diced some tomatoes and a habanero)
1 small onion, diced 
2 garlic cloves, diced
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil

For the rest:
1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed well
2 ounces (approximate) chorizo <optional>
1 large garlic clove, diced
½ cup water
4 corn tortillas
4 eggs
fresh cracked pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
fresh cilantro, diced
feta cheese, crumbled

Okay! Now that you have everything, heat 1 ½ Tbl olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. While it is heating up, mix together all the salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Add the salsa mixture to the skillet and cook until it starts to thicken up a little. Remove the salsa to a bowl and set aside, saving the skillet.

If you’re using chorizo, add it to the skillet you just used and cook it thoroughly over medium. Add the garlic, black beans and water to the skillet. This doesn’t take too long; you’re just trying to warm the beans up. While they're cooking, you want to smash the beans up. I usually just use a fork to do this.

Don’t forget to throw your tortillas in the oven to warm them up.

I start the eggs while my beans are warming. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high, I use a large one so that I can fry all of the eggs at once. When the oil is hot fry your eggs to over easy. I sprinkle them with pepper while they're frying. Or if you prefer you can do sunny side up or even over medium. Oh, and I hope that you’re better at frying eggs than I am. I actually cook them to whatever they turn out and hope the yolks don't break. =]

Take a tortilla and spread some of your bean mixture across it. Top with one egg. Then add salsa, some cilantro, and feta cheese. Serve immediately!


I hope that you try this and enjoy them as much as we do. If you have a minute hop over and check out my facebook page too at https://www.facebook.com/AVirtualEssence

14 comments:

  1. I haven't had huevos rancheros for a looooong time. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I hadn't had them for quite awhile until recently. And then immediately upon making them my husband asked that I make them more often! They're such a great breakfast!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a great recipe!! I love Huevos Rancheros! Thanks for joining the Foodie Friends party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome, I love huevos rancheros!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie!!! I do too, the flavors are amazing.

      Delete
  4. These look GREAT! I've never had these but you're tempting me NOW to make them! Thanks for joining Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois! You should make them, you won't regret it. =]

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! And thanks for all your work with the linky party this week!

      Delete
  6. They look lovely!
    No, it doesn't make you a bad person, if you don't like to chop tomatoes first thing in the morning, but ... it's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris you actually made me laugh out loud!! I'm going to get along with tomatoes one of these days. =]

      Delete

I love getting love! And I can't wait to hear what you have to say, bring it on!! And many thanks for taking your time to visit! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...